By Paul Johnston
Admissions to visitor attractions in England rose by 5% last year, according to new figures.
The Tower of London was the most popular paid for attraction with 2.4 million visits, it was followed by St Paul's Cathedral with 1.6 million visits last year.
The survey by VisitEngland also revealed a surge in popularity for castles and gardens across the country.
Museums and galleries are the country's most popular free attractions, accounting for nine out of the ten most popular destinations.
The British Museum topped the list with 5.6 million visitors, down 6% on last year, followed by the National Gallery with 4.7 million visitors.
James Berresford, Chief Executive of VisitEngland said: “This latest report shows a strong trend towards day trips, with attractions reporting an 8 per cent increase in visitors who live locally. Wherever we live in the country, we are never far away from some amazing attractions offering a great day out for the whole family.”
Take a look at the Top 10s in full:
Top 10 paid for attractions
1. Tower of London (London) - 2.4 million visitors
2. St Paul's Cathedral (London) - 1.8 million visitors
3. Westminster Abbey (London) - 1.4 million visitors
4. Flamingo Land Theme Park and Zoo (Yorks) - 1.4 million visitors
5. Windermere Lake Cruises, Bowness (North West) - 1.3 million visitors
6. Kew Gardens (Royal Botanic Gardens) (London) - 1.3 million visitors
7. Chester Zoo (North West) - 1.2 million visitors
8. ZSL London Zoo (London) - 1 million visitors
9. Eden Project (South West) - 1 million visitors
10. Canterbury Cathedral (South East) - 1 million visitors
Top 10 free attractions
1. British Museum (London) - 5.5 million visitors
2. National Gallery (London) - 4.8 million visitors
3. Tate Modern (London) - 4.7 million visitors
4. Natural History Museum (London) - 4.1 million visitors
5. Science Museum (London) - 2.8 million visitors
6. Victoria and Albert Museum (London) - 2.3 million visitors
7. National Portrait Gallery (London) - 2 million visitors
8. Tate Britain (London) - 1.5 million visitors
9. British Library (London) - 1.4 million visitors
10. Thetford Forest Park (London) - 1.2 million visitors